Friday, October 1, 2010

LeBron and Race









If anything, THIS is racist.

I'm not gonna say much because JA Adande, Jason Whitlock, and of course Bethlehem Shoals covered pretty much all of what I'd say (Adande had the best direct approach, Whitlock probably went a bit over the top ha, Shoals looking outside the set box). There are a couple things I just want to touch on in writing. First, about the point Shoals brings up about separating The Decision from the actual decision.

I'm going on record saying that the decision was the only one that was really available. Cleveland sucks, in every conceivable way, and LBJ would've been justified in saying just that. So I fully support him going to Miami with a top-3 and top-20 player. I'm all for players dictating the league, because I AM A FAN OF THE PLAYERS. Anything that takes power away from The Money, I jump een eet. If you have a problem, turn off your station.

(Interesting note, if the NBA institutes a hard cap, Bosh is probably out the door. Sucks for him ha.)

The biggest thing I hate about LeBron's decision is that playing NBA 2K11 against bad players is gonna suck because that team will be next-to-unstoppable. Bullshit.

The Decision was fucking stupid, obviously, and represents everything that is wrong with LeBron and the for-profit NBA (which bred LeBron). But I don't watch ESPN and only go to the website if I'm directed to a specific article, and as you can plainly see my knowledge of the goings-on of the sporting world is hardly lacking. So if you have an issue with the endless media coverage, there's a solution for you: STOP WATCHING. Word of mouth via blogs and social networking (of ALL kinds) is all you need. If you miss a story, odds are someone else didn't and will catch you up. Simple. Additionally, by pledging your undying support to ESPN you give them a blank check to run whatever bullshit they feel like running.

(I'm not saying necessarily cut ESPN out entirely. For many sports fans this is impossible, because there's not enough time in the day to catch everything that goes on. But ESPN is the devil, and far from the only source of sports-related news. I'm sensing a parallel here, too...)

Anyway... I didn't see the interview itself but from what I understand, LeBron said simply that race is always an issue. His shitbrained "team" seems to be the source of all these missteps (this Maverick Carter character is apparently the one who unequivocally stated that race was a significant factor in the public's reaction, which really is an offensive notion on several levels). Long story short, money corrupts the sanctity of everything. How many of these assholes are around if 'Bron hadn't been a ready-made cash cow since birth?

I want to say that I do feel bad for LBJ in this sense, because there probably isn't a single person in his life for any other reason than money. Including his mother. That is inhuman.

(By the way, it's this type of media attention that makes these athletes afraid to speak up on real issues, on which they (obviously) do present a unique perspective.)

I think that pretty much covers everything. In summation, fuck LeBron, fuck mass media, and fuck the needless pursuit of extreme excess. And if you don't agree with that, well, fuck you, too.


***EDIT***


This would almost be funny if 'Bron had played the cards properly...

No comments:

Post a Comment