Thursday, October 14, 2010

2010-2011 NBA Preview - MAX PLAYERS


There aren't too many. I'll list the ones who are there, and then the ones who are just short. And I'll try not to talk about John Wall, though if I were Ted Leonsis I'd give him at least a 10% share of the entire franchise if he promised to never leave.

LeBron James
Has to be the first guy on this list. There's no single player that's easier to build a team around, and there's no single player who will bring in the type of money that 'Bron will. He comes off as a douche because his "team" is a sack of shit, but nobody seems to care so why should you?

If I had the chance to sign pick anyone on this list, I'd first go to LeBron and tell him exactly how I felt about how his career has gone. I'd tell him I want more of "The LeBrons" (which were awesome - someone's gotta explain to me why that was ended) and less of "The Decision." After he sits silently as Maverick Carter and that World Wide Wes clown jerk each other off I'd make a phone call to...

Kevin Durant
If I had my pick of the bunch I'm taking KD. He has a clearly defined role as the top scoring option, he's the perfect image for your franchise cornerstone and, most importantly, he's THE MAN. My franchise is winning titles with integrity, continuity and hard work, and Durant is the embodiment of all three.

Dwyane Wade
The arena in which Dwyane Wade is playing in a given night = WHERE AMAZING HAPPENS. The most electric superstar in the business, and a big-city swagger/off-court persona unmatched by anyone in the league. Hard to deny it.

Chris Paul
Kinda tough to put him in front of Kobe, but he's got a great (public) personality and in a league dominated by point guards, he's definitely the flashiest.

Kobe Bryant
Purely by virtue of age. He's got a few years left, but not too many. He's still as good as it gets, and you're gonna win with him without question. But if you don't put a team around him, he'll probably just retire (he's not killing himself anymore unless a ring is within his grasp).

Dwight Howard
This is where it gets tricky, because from the standpoint of playing ability, Dwight hasn't showed he's worth this. But as far as branding and such? No doubt about it.

***************************************************************

That's it. Six players. You could make a case for a few more (which I'll do in a sec) but if you really wanna call it how it is, that's the list. As for the rest...

***************************************************************

Deron Williams
He could prove himself worthy this year. But the Jazz MUST win on the road. MUST. Though it's really tough to justify a max deal in the 29th rated TV market in the league. I think.

Brandon Roy
Well first, he needs to be 100% healthy. But he doesn't really have the personality to warrant max dollars. The game could get there, but they're gonna have to be title contenders before doling out that kind of cash.

Steve Nash
I mean, he IS the Suns, and has been for several years now. He was within a bullshit Amar'e suspension of the NBA Finals, so it's tough to say you can't win with someone with such poor defensive ability. But still, no dice. Especially not now, at his age.

Dirk Nowitzki
Same as Nash.


Rajon Rondo
Gotta figure out how to shoot. If he somehow does, no question about it.

Carmelo Anthony
I wanted to see how he did on a team by himself (like New Jersey), because I don't think he's quite there. He might be, but he hasn't shown it. He put a huge dent in his marketability early on with the whole 'Stop Snitchin' thing, which doesn't help. But he could easily get there. One way or another, he's getting those max dollars after the season.


Derrick Rose
Let me just say that I think that by the end of the year he'll join the top six.

No comments:

Post a Comment