Thursday, October 14, 2010

2010-2011 NBA Preview - Top 10 Shooting Guards


I already know I'm gonna catch some flak for (at least) one of these guys but I don't give any type of a shit.

10. Gilbert Arenas - Yep. Hope this is right. Hope this is too low. It COULD be... it SHOULD be... *sigh*


9. Stephen Jackson - Doesn't get enough credit. He's getting up in age and I'm not sure if he actually has another 20/game season in him but I'll give him his props for now. Devin Harris would've been huge. If they really balked at giving up DJ Augustin to get Harris something's wrong.


8. Monta Ellis - Amazing talent, but if Gilbert Arenas was too much of a tweener to ever be successful with, Ellis shouldn't even be in the NBA. He's fun to watch, definitely; much better suited coming off the bench, though. We'll see how he fares on an offense with a coach who stays awake during games.


7. OJ Mayo - I really wish Memphis had taken Tyreke Evans instead of Thabeet like logic dictated. Sounds unconventional - because it is - but that's my personal ideal type of backcourt. Whatever. It doesn't seem like Mayo will be the complete offensive player he showed flashes of at the end of his USC stint, not any time soon at least. But he's one the most complete all-around 2-guards in the NBA and I think he'll make a real jump if he attacks the basket more as he's promised.


6. Manu Ginobili - Until he actually breaks down I'll give him all the credit in the world, even if he is a flopping queen.


5. Tyreke Evans - 'Reke marks the last player I'll ever second-guess myself about. Somehow, after his season at Memphis, I convinced myself that he didn't have 'it' and wouldn't cross that greatness threshold. WRONG. I remember seeing him and Lance Stephenson duel at the Elite 24 game at Rucker and came away wildly impressed with both. He ain't a point guard tho. Not unless you wanna call Dwyane Wade a point guard.


4. Joe Johnson - Why must he be satisfied with being the player he is? You can't just decide "oh, it's playoff time, I'm gonna put my team on my back" and expect to deliver. YOU CAN'T TURN GREATNESS ON AND OFF. Wouldn't be shocked if Evans (and Mayo, for that matter) overtakes him.


3. Brandon Roy - The injury thing worries me, a lot (remember, he came back earlier than advised for the playoffs), but Roy is a great player otherwise. Finishing 3rd to Wade and Kobe is pretty solid.


2. Dwyane Wade - The NBA's slogan 'Where Amazing Happens' was made specifically for Dwyane Wade. I'm convinced. This is how you fuckin' do it.:




1. Kobe Bryant - Here's the deal. If Kobe and Jordan switched shoes, Mamba would be the GOAT and Jordan would be the villainous figure of today.

I get it's not quite that simple, but it's closer than most are willing to recognize.

No comments:

Post a Comment