Thursday, October 14, 2010

2010-2011 NBA Preview - Top 10 Point Guards


I love point guards. I do wish that the absurd trend of making the NBA as soft as possible didn't necessitate a star PG in virtually every style of NBA offense, but it still allows some talented players really shine. To be very clear, I'd rather have a slower game where defense is allowed than the joke brand of basketball the NBA is bordering on today. But I still love point guards.

I'm also gonna be called a homer including John Wall's on the list, but I don't care, and I put him lower than I wanted to. It's ok, though. You'll see. And for the record, John Wall is the #1 reason why I'm getting League Pass. And he alone will be worth every penny.

10. John Wall - I have never been more sure of a #1 pick. Ever. I guess I was sure of LeBron but because I've seen how LeBron has turned out, and because I'm much better at reading people/personalities than I was in 2003, I'm 100% convinced that Wall will absolutely tear the league to shreds. (Actually I was pretty convinced about Derrick Rose, too.) Take some Rajon Rondo and some Dwyane Wade, and sprinkle in a little Kevin Durant, and you get John Wall. The Rookie of the Year Award is his to lose to injury, as is a surefire hall of fame career.

Now pardon me while I throw salt over my shoulder, knock on wood, and do whatever the hell else I need to do to remove that colossal jinx I just placed upon him.


9. Stephen Curry - Curry is a preordained Golden Child. Best way of describing him. I have to see how he does outside of the blacktop offense Golden State ran before I put him higher than this, but he put up some absurd numbers at the end of last year.


8. Russell Westbrook - He was a huge part of the US winning the World's, and there were games in the Lakers series where he (looked like he) was the best player on a court shared with Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant. He's another one of those guys on my list from the first time I saw him play at UCLA, but I don't know how effective he'd be on a team that isn't quite as stacked as the Thunder. Still, he belongs up here.


7. Chauncey Billups - The General. He's similar to Westbrook in that I doubt his production on a team that isn't quite as loaded as the Nuggets are. But Billups is as good a leader as there is in the NBA and you can't ask for much else out of your lead guard, especially when your best player wants off the team and JR Smith, Kenyon Martin (and now Al Harrington haha) are on the team. I'm also really glad that Ty Lawson gets to be his understudy. PERFECT match.


6. Brandon Jennings - Here's where the bona-fide franchise point guards begin. He was on my list as a junior in high school and he definitely hasn't disappointed. From dropping 50 to leading the BUCKS to the playoffs to already being one of the best defensive point guards in the game, there's a lot to like. Love that he's signed to Under Armour ha.


5. Rajon Rondo - If he can find any semblance of a shooter's touch the rest of the league is in serious trouble.


4. Steve Nash - I wish I could put him higher up on this list but he's a turnstile on defense. He's a wizard, though.


3. Derrick Rose - I know some people will take issue with this, but you'll see. Especially once Boozer comes back. The knock on him was a lack of a consistent perimeter shot, but he's worked tirelessly on his shooting and once he gets comfortable with his shot during the grind of the NBA season, he'll be utterly untouchable.


2. Chris Paul - I actually think CP3 is the only point guard worth a max contract (as of now) but in my opinion that doesn't translate to being the best player. But I dunno. Maybe he's 1b. He's just not a good defender, regardless of what the steals say. I guess that doesn't really matter anymore, but I'd like it to. And it's my list. And D-Will owns him head-to-head.


1. Deron Williams - The most complete point guard the league has at the moment. I think he'll be called upon as a scorer more this year which should mean a little more freelance and the ability to showcase his abilities a bit more. I wish he'd win on the road more, but I really think Al Jefferson is gonna be a huge difference for them.

1 comment:

  1. Yo man i think so far d-rose is but chris paul is deng right up there man.... hey follow my blog.... overnback.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete