Sunday, September 5, 2010

2010 NFL Predictions - Postseason

Seeding (based on the last two sets of predictions), playoffs, then individual awards.

NFC PLAYOFFS
1. Dallas Cowboys (11-5)
2. San Francisco 49ers (10-6)
3. Minnesota Vikings (10-6)
4. Atlanta Falcons (10-6)
5. New York Giants (10-6)
6. New Orleans Saints (10-6)

(Five teams with exactly ten wins. I wonder what the odds are.)

WILD CARD ROUND
New Orleans Saints vs Minnesota Vikings
If Sidney Rice is back strong this won't be a contest. Either way, I don't see much of a game. Vikings 34 Saints 20

New York Giants vs Atlanta Falcons
The Giants' lines are too good for Atlanta. Simple as that. It'll be closer though since it's in Atlanta and the Falcons have a few playmakers. Giants 37 Falcons 31

DIVISIONAL ROUND
New York Giants vs Dallas Cowboys
If the game were in the Meadowlands I'd give it to the Giants and be done with it, but as I type I can't decide on a winner. Romo will continue to make mistakes as he always does, but not at the rate he has been (he was a little better last year). And Dez Bryant is a BEAST. Their defense isn't great but they have some playmakers, and the offense is downright scary. Also think they'd have a little help.... Against my better judgement, Cowboys 35 Giants 31

Minnesota Vikings vs San Francisco 49ers
Alex Smith will get eaten alive by the Vikings defense, and the game won't be close. Vikings 27 49ers 13

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP
Minnesota Vikings vs Dallas Cowboys
Favre is making this Super Bowl. That's all I'm saying. Vikings 37 Cowboys 34

AFC PLAYOFFS
1. Indianapolis Colts (12-4)
2. New York Jets (12-4)
3. Cincinnati Bengals (12-4)
4. Oakland Raiders (10-6)
5. Baltimore Ravens (11-5)
6. Houston Texans (10-6)

(I put Houston in over New England because they have a tougher NFC schedule. So more AFC wins, blah blah blah... might be a mistake when Brady-Moss tear the league to shreds again.)

WILD CARD ROUND
Houston Texans vs Cincinnati Bengals
This is all based on the assumption that the Bengals' offense does indeed work out, so with that in mind, I got the Bengals here. Pretty handily, too. Bengals 30 Texans 20

Baltimore Ravens vs Oakland Raiders
I'm not actually sure why I have Baltimore winning so many games. The offense appears to be fearsome, but the defense is a shell of its former self. Except now I've finally looked it up and they were still the 3rd ranked D last year. Oh. Ravens 27 Raiders 16

DIVISIONAL ROUND
Baltimore Ravens vs Indianapolis Colts
Baltimore had a lead in the fourth quarter in their matchup last year, played at M&T Bank Stadium. I wanna give 'em this win because their offense is just so much better now. How about this, whichever team has their safety playing will win the game. Nah, scratch that; if Bob Sanders plays, Colts win. Otherwise, Ravens 34 Colts 27, though betting against Peyton is suicidal.

Cincinnati Bengals vs New York Jets
This is tough. No way does Cincy run on that defense. No chance at all. But I don't trust Mark Sanchez against the Bengals' D, either. I dunno, Bengals 17 Jets 16 maybe? This - and any of the Jets' title chances - hinges entirely on the Franchez's ability to limit his turnovers.

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP
Baltimore Ravens vs Cincinnati Bengals
Fuck it, I'm driving the Bengals' bandwagon. TEAM OF DESTINY. Ha. Bengals 20 Ravens 16

SUPER BOWL XLV
Cincinnati Bengals vs Minnesota Vikings
Favre ain't losing. If he makes it this far, everyone knows what's gonna happen. Then again, the Bengals' pass rush would give him fits. Still, Vikings 34 Bengals 28

POSTSEASON AWARDS
MVP - Tony Romo - I have borderline record-setting seasons marked down for Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers, yet neither one in the playoffs. I'm not sure how unlikely that really is, but for now I'm gonna have to go with Romo, who should have a monster year himself.
Offensive POY - Randy Moss - Brady might key on Moss a little more this year than he did in '07 since A) Welker is hurt and B) maybe they'll battle the (Pats') system together. Whatever. Didn't want to give this to Romo as well, and I don't know how another QB could take this when they didn't win MVP. Moss deserves some type of award like this before he retires.
Defensive POY - DeMarcus Ware - I thought about Antwan Odom and Jared Allen but opted for Ware because he has yet to win one (despite TWENTY sacks in 2008). Odom could do it, though, if he reverts back to his 8 sacks in 6 games pace. That defense will be nasty.
Offensive ROY - Ryan Matthews - There aren't many rookie offensive skill players in prominent roles this year. Really only Matthews, and possibly Dez Bryant. Oh, and CJ Spiller, who is sure to get lost in Buffalo. Dez could steal this pretty easily, but there are a lot of hands to feed in Dallas. Dark horse: Dexter McCluster. Remember I said that. (Btw McCluster, Dez and Matthews, all on the squad.)
Defensive ROY - Eric Berry - CERTIFIABLE STAR. Can't stress it enough. Plus, he's a playmaking safety; he could have a high school front-7 and still cause 10+ turnovers in the secondary.
Comeback POY - Mike Williams - I hope this pans out, and it's not merely Pete Carroll trying to make one of his guys look good. That's definitely part of it. (A trade for Vincent Jackson would throw a wrench in all this.)
Super Bowl MVP - Chad Ochocinco - HA. No it's Favre. Come on.

If you put a gun to my head there's no way I take the Bengals to get to the Super Bowl. I like 'em a lot, but they're not a great bet. I just kinda got "pot committed" as they say, ridiculous as that phrase really is. It's all fun. But seriously, if Carson can get the stick out his ass and have fun with Chad, TO and the rest, he'll have a great season and this scenario has a much better chance of becoming reality.

I'll put up a bettor's guide of my own by Wednesday. I paid rent with my winnings back in '08 but stopped in '09 when I couldn't really toy with finances. I might also switch to WordPress soon, cooler features and works better with my phone, if ever I were to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment