Saturday, April 24, 2010

Washington Redskins 2010 NFL Draft Review

I'll get this out the way while it's still fresh. This will be more a checkup on the team than just a draft review, but I'll start with the draft.

Most people had Russell Okung as the best tackle, but most also said Williams had the greatest potential, and if there's one thing above all else that I have faith in Mike Shanahan for, it's picking and developing his lineman. No doubt in my mind he'll be a pro-bowler.

I don't know anything about the other guys. I'll say right now, I HATE the pick of the TE, Dennis Morris. Why? Chris Cooley and Fred Davis isn't enough? I would've preferred looking at a big receiver (like USFs Carlton Mitchell), or taking a flyer on Myron Rolle. I like taking a linebacker and obviously the two o-linemen.

And it's nice to finally see some attention paid to the field position game. I don't know who Terrence Austin is, but he's UCLA's second all-time total yardage leader. Behind one Maurice Jones-Drew. Still not impressed? Watch this.

Obviously the big move of the draft for the Skins was trading their second rounder (37 overall) for Donovan McNabb. I was always a fan of Jason Campbell, and there's no denying that he wasn't given a fair shake at the job. To be perfectly honest, I would've preferred keeping the picks and taking Arrelious Benn. Or offering the same deal Miami did for Brandon Marshall. Santana Moss needs someone to take the pressure off of him, and that wasn't addressed. On top of that, Donovan has developed a propensity to throw his passes at receivers' feet. Philly could protect their passer. So how's he gonna do behind this offensive line? I have high hopes for what Shanahan can mean for our blocking, but I'm realistic at the same time.

But I AM excited to have McNabb in DC. It's hard not to be. He's an all-pro QB who has a few productive years left, and the best quarterback to play in DC, probably in my lifetime. As much as I supported JC, McNabb is obviously better - throws a better deep ball, which bodes well for Santana Moss.

The move that went under the radar - maybe for good reason, who knows - was the trade of a 5th round pick to the St Louis Rams for Adam Carriker. Carriker was a bad fit in the Rams defense but with the Skins looking to use the 3-4 more, Carriker figures to be a big part of that, provided he stays healthy. And he'll play alongside Fat Albert, which can only help.

Looking ahead, as crazy as it sounds, it might make sense to sign Terrell Owens. We NEED a receiver to take pressure off of Santana, and TO is still a serviceable weapon, even if he has lost a step or three. We also need to drop DeAngelo Falls...

As I mentioned, I have high hopes for what the new coaching staff can and will do this year. What is certain is that the defense will be better, for the simple fact that d-coordinator Jim Haslett will utilize Albert Haynesworth and LaRon Landry better than they were last year. It's impossible for this not to be the case. On offense, Shanahan has always had great offensive lines, so why not here? Keep in mind, there IS some talent there, especially with Trent Williams now. Gotta be optimistic, right? I'm not a fan of the signings of both Larry Johnson AND Willie Parker (would've preferred Brian Westbrook...), but recently Shanahan picked up a guy he drafted in Denver, Ryan Torain, who will be really good if he's given a shot. He actually reminds of Clinton Portis in many ways (vision, decisiveness in hitting holes, powerful runner, good at making people miss).

That's it. For now. More to come later, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment