Tuesday, April 27, 2010

2009-2010 UNC Basketball Review

This was the most depressing season for any team that I can think of in my entire life as a sports fan. I personally witnessed it break many-a-fan (which was interesting, seeing how long it took each one to break down ha), and I couldn't help but get caught in the depression myself - though to a very low degree. In no way was I expecting another national championship, but I still foolishly predicted another ACC title. I say it was foolish, because heading in I KNEW that the Tar Heels had no guard-play, no perimeter scoring, and no post scoring. For some reason I thought their size would be enough. I was very wrong.

Seniors
FAIL. Deon Thompson was a good understudy to Tyler Hansbrough, but he was a nightmare this year. The fact that he won the team's MVP award is really... sad. I really thought he could be a reliable post scorer and rebounder. Instead I saw 6.7 rebounds/game and the same dreadful turnaround jumper every time he touched the ball. Shame on me for expecting anything, I guess.

Marcus Ginyard is a joke of a player. Interesting how a guy like that is recruited to be the lockdown defender on a championship team (ala Byron Mouton on the '01-'02 Maryland team) but his injury allows for the emergence of Danny Green, who played an integral part in the championship run (he could play some ball too). He had an embarrassing year.

NBA Draft Early Entrants
Only one: Joe Forte. (Oops, did I just say that? I mean Ed Davis.) I don't get the move, and I can only assume it's financially charged. In no way is he ready for the NBA; not physically, not skill-wise... he WAS by FAR the best player on the team, has a high motor, is a good shot blocker and rebounder and has a deceptively respectable post game. But not enough to be a factor in the NBA. Rooting for him, though. And if he had stayed UNC's roster would look a lot better next year.

Returning - Bigs
Three white guys and a massive stick-figure: Tyler Zeller, David and Travis Wear, and John Henson. I don't like Zeller at all - as some people can attest to ha - but he's a serviceable player. Decent post scorer, too big (7' 240) not to have an impact on the defensive end, even if he is a dismal rebounder. The Wear twins are pretty skilled - they'll make for a good high-post/low-post duo - but didn't play much, and I can't tell the difference between them yet. Henson is a stud, but would get out-muscled by half of the women's team. He can finish with both hands, rebound from time to time, and blocks shots like a phenom. Still don't know what his position is, though.

Returning - Wings
Will Graves. That's it, really. He played with a lot of heart, but he's just not that good. Made some big shots, but not much else. He won't start next year.

Returning - Guards
There aren't many. Three to be exact: Larry Drew, Dexter Strickland and Leslie McDonald. McDonald's playing time was very sporadic, something I didn't agree with, but I'm not coaching that team. I think he could be pretty good. Dexter Strickland is FAST, aggressive... he'll be a lot better when he learns how to finish. Time will tell if he's ever worthy of a starting spot. And definitely not a point guard.

Of course, speaking of point guards, we come to Larry Drew. I had high hopes for this kid, and while I'm not as down on him as most of Chapel Hill is, he still let me down. I was pretty confident that he'd be a legit starting point guard, and he proved himself to be a very good backup. Simply put, he just didn't show that he has 'it' all year. I'm not gonna say he'll never find 'it', but I wouldn't bank on it either.

Looking Ahead
The biggest deficiency this team had was that they didn't play with the swagger EVERY Tar Heel team should play with. I don't care if they lost Lawson, Hansbrough, Ellington, Green... you play home games at the DEAN DOME. This team didn't play like the expected to win, didn't even expect to compete.

The incoming freshmen should change that. Harrison Barnes is a BEAST; at first I called him a Carmelo Anthony/Danny Granger hybrid, but he's a better playmaker than that, there's really no comparison. Reggie Bullock has been described as a bigger, more athletic Wayne Ellington...not bad. Kendall Marshall will hopefully take the starting PG role quickly. Jason Kidd's name has been mentioned with Marshall's - far too many Kidd comparisons in the last few years - but I've actually seen a couple games of his and he's legit.

The main thing they all have is an undeniable presence, especially Barnes. It's not a loud confidence, but it's there all the same. Without Davis this probably isn't a title contending roster, but they'll be much improved. I can't stress enough how excited I am to see how Barnes produces early on and how he progresses throughout the year. Should be very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment