Monday, March 15, 2010

NCAA Tournament - East Region

The East is, to me, the most intriguing region of the four - other than me pulling for Georgetown in the Midwest. I'm not sure why I didn't have them from day 1, but as a lot of you know (and for those who don't) Kentucky is my kind of team. Loaded with talent and athletic ability, led by one of the best freshman point guards of all time, and I've been a fan of Patrick Patterson since he was a senior in high school.

But beyond them we have the inexplicably sub-standard Texas Longhorns with Damion James and one of the best freshmen in the nation in Avery Bradley. Wisconsin is led by one of my favorite players in the country in Trevon Hughes. West Virginia is probably the best #2 seed in the field, led by another one of my favorite players, Da'Sean Butler. Even Washington, who has one of the best 1-2 punches in the country with Quincy Pondexter and Isaiah Thomas. So there are a lot of great potential matchups here.

FAVORITE
Obviously Kentucky. I dare you to find me a more talented starting five. Ever. Ok well in the last 30 years. John Wall is the best player in the country and DeMarcus Cousins is the most dominant down low. Patterson is a stud and Eric Bledsoe is one of the most underrated talents in the country. The Wildcats just outmatch nearly every other team in the country, and they're going to have to lose a game on their own for them to not win the East (granted, far from being out of the question).

They can definitely be tripped up, however. Wisconsin would make for a VERY tough matchup; they play strong defense, and Wall is famously turnover prone (though he's improved over the year). Wall vs Hughes would be incredible. Texas and Wake could, theoretically, both cause problems as they can both match up athletically. West Virginia will be a GREAT game.

NEXT IN LINE
West Virginia. I'd like to put Wisconsin here too, but Jon Leuer will need to play his best, not to mention Trevon Hughes will have to be consistently at the top of his game. West Virginia is athletic and plays a tough 1-3-1 zone defense that'll give people fits, Kentucky included. Da'Sean Butler is a beast.

SLEEPER
Every year I make an illogical Sweet 16 pick that, no matter how much I try to convince myself otherwise, I put in all my brackets. This year it's Washington. Quincy Pondexter and Isaiah Thomas will be the two best players on the court in every game they play in until they play WVU, provided they show up of course. No sense in arguing with this, no reasoning with an illogical stance.

WINNER
Kentucky. I've had them for almost the entire season and they've given me no reason to bail now. I am definitely worried about the West Virginia game, because that zone will give John Wall a lot of trouble. But at the end of the day, Kentucky is just far too good. John Wall MOP.

By the way... those of you who think Evan Turner is better than John Wall, be it today or as an NBA prospect... just don't bring that argument around me. You will be eviscerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment