Friday, January 8, 2010

Gilbert Arenas Sticking To His Guns

(First off, forgive the pun, but it seemed fitting as there are COUNTLESS numbers of them out there referring to this situation. And yes, I moved the site again - almost definitely for the last time - and yes I know I'm using what some may consider a "corny" name. This was just TOO fitting and I couldn't resist.)

Needless to say (if you know me) I have a LOT of thoughts on this issue, and I'm gonna do my best to organize those thoughts here. First, the event in question as I understand it is that Arenas laid out his arsenal at Crittenton's locker and in response, Crittenton loaded and chambered a gun of his own. That seems to be the consensus between all the level-headed observers.

Let me say this now: this was a display of immature foolishness of EPIC proportions on Gil's part.

I'm not going to spend time making excuses. I very easily could, but at a point you just have to grow up (remember Arenas is the father of THREE children). I empathize with his desire to stay true to who you are, regardless of how you're perceived by anybody. But unfortunately times come about in which you must swallow your pride, and avoid cutting off your livelihood to spite your face.

The thing is, however, that Arenas had a LOT of people (myself included) that had the utmost respect for him purely because he always did things his own way, no compromises. How many of YOU are in the public eye all the time, and are lauded for your (sometimes brutal) honesty by legions of fans? Think about it.

The embodiment of all things Gilbert Arenas is the event depicted in the picture to the left. The constant struggle between what's right and what's right - between staying true to yourself and doing right by everyone - is something everyone goes through, certainly every public figure. It's been a struggle that Gil always seems to be constantly in the middle of, and as history has shown any time you ride the fence, you will suffer for it.

Right now you may be thinking that Gil's strong individualistic personality is far from the center. And it's sad that your conditioning forces you to do so. The VAST majority of people lean towards pleasing others, to varying degrees, while leaning the other way is viewed as foolishly selfish. THAT is why Arenas, and countless others for that matter (notably Chad Ochocinco), have always been so difficult for the public to understand...

I have issues with how David Stern handled this situation, and my personal opinion is that Arenas should have been suspended IMMEDIATELY upon admitting to bringing firearms into the lockerroom. I also have a serious issue with how Peter Vecsey broke the story (how vermin like that could actually call themselves journalists is disgusting). But at the end of the day, as everyone is so quick to point out, this DOES fall on Gil's shoulders. My hope is that he finds his way, in every sense of the term.

1 comment: